Estate, Trust & Probate
We have offered comprehensive estate planning services to Central Illinois for more than seventy years, and have drafted literally thousands of wills and estate plans. Our focus is on understanding our clients and their assets so that we can minimize potential conflicts and administrative difficulties at the time of death, and so that we can preserve as much wealth as possible to pass on to the next generation.
We regularly advise high-net worth individuals, including family farmers seeking to preserve the farm for the next generation and University of Illinois faculty and staff seeking to navigate the complexities of the State Universities Retirement System. Our services are tailored to the unique needs of each of our clients.
We also advise executors named under a will and trustees on the performance of their duties. We provide assistance through every step of the process so that our clients can be confident that they are meeting all legal requirements.
Members of our estate planning practice are recognized by their peers as leaders in this area. David C. Thies, the head of our practice, for example, has served as Chair of the Illinois State Bar Association Trusts and Estates Section Council.
Our services include:
- Development of tailor-made estate plans
- Drafting Wills, Living Trusts, Special Needs Trusts, Credit Shelter Trusts, Advanced Directives such as Powers of Attorney for Property and Health Care and Living Wills
- Development of gifting plans to include Charitable Remainder and Lead Trusts (CRT and CLT), Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Family Limited Partnerships and other techniques
- Advising on the methods available to avoid or mitigate estate tax, gift tax, generation-skipping tax and income tax
- Advising on issues that affect the Elderly and programs available for late-life assistance such as Medicare and Medicaid